Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sometimes I Get To Be The Kid


First of all, this picture is of my son Scotty, Daughter-in-law Brandi, Jayden and Bryce.
You know, sometimes I forget that I am just the grandma and decide to be the kid. Well, not actually decide, but get forced to be the kid. I have had a tummy issue for several years and it usually decides to act up at the most inconvenient times. Saturday night was one of those times. As the evening progressed, my tummy pain became more and more intense. Usually I can just go to bed with the heating pad and sleep it away. Not Saturday. My husband is a semi truck driver and was in Oregon, about as far away from Michigan as he could be. The kids are all tucked into their own beds at their own homes. I was a paramedic several years ago, so I know the cost to just load someone in the ambulance, let alone drive 2 miles to the hospital. So I take myself!!! After 5 hours of IV, CT scan, X-ray, pain meds, it is now time for me to get home. Now you all know that even though it is only 2 miles, the hospital frowns on driving after IV drugs!!!!! "So, who do you want us to call Carolyn?" (good thing I know the nurses!) Well, I can't call my mom, she won't be that happy I did not call her in the first place. I could a friend, but I am sure they are either sleeping, in Church, or working. So I tell the nurse she can call my son, Scott. She looks at me and says "He knows you are here right?" Well no he does not. So she gives him a call and over to the ER he comes. Now this is the part where I get to be the kid!!!!
Scotty: Hey Ma What is going on?
Me: Oh you know, just the belly.
Scotty: What is wrong with your belly?
Me: Just the usual belly pain.
Scotty: Did they find anything?
Me: Just the usual IBS.
Scotty: OK as he walks to the nurse and says:
"So I heard her story, now what is the rest of the story!!!!!" I actually had to snicker a little. Anyway, he drives me the two miles home, hops on my bike and rides back to the hospital to drive my car back home.
And of course, I find out he has called Scott to tell him all about it because "Like you would tell him all of the story? " It is days like that when you love your child for letting you be the kid sometimes instead of just the grandma!!!!

No comments: