Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sweetest Day



Sweetest Day. HMMMMMMMMMMMM I did not even remember it was going to be Sweetest Day until Friday evening when I arrived at the grocery store. I walked past a chocolate chip cookie as big as a pie, decorated with a huge Happy Sweetest Day LOGO and lots of frosting. Then past cupcakes decorated with the same, then small cakes, and finally Sweetest Day cards. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Must be Sweetest Day is coming, OH WAIT---It is the very next day and I do not have a card or a present for my husband Scott!!!!!!!!!!!! So around the store I go once again picking out the perfect cookie, and the perfect card. And just think, if I had not needed eggs, I would not have even remembered!!!!!! Scott loved the cookie (of course not as much as if I had made it) and the card was a hit. But you ask what was his gift to me? Well, not a cookie because those of you that know me, know that a cookie would not pass my lips. Scott's present to me was in a conversation we had later that day. It went like this:

Scott: I love you.
Me: I love you too. I like us like this. You know, close and happy.
Scott: Me too.
Me: What did my note say that you found?
Scott: It said "I married you then, and I would marry you again"
Me: I would, you know.
Scott: Babe - even if we had to do all this again (Laura's cancer), I would still marry you again.

That statement was the best present Scott could ever give me.

Does sweetest day have to be a holiday?? No. I think any day is sweet, but some days are sweeter. Like yesterday.
There is a very sweet little guy CJ Shaw who was diagnosed with medulloblastoma on December 1, 2006. He had two masses on his brain and had emergency surgery that night to remove the larger of the two. A few days later he again had surgery to remove the other mass. It was cancerous. You can read his updates at:
www.carepages.com/carepages/CJShaw/updates
CJ's aunt Erin is putting together a wonderful fundraiser for CJ and his family. I called her and offered to help out. So yesterday I spoke to Mrs. Michigan and asked her if she would like to make an appearance. Here is the sweet part--she said yes, without a hesitation in her voice, just YES!!!! It would be her pleasure!!!!! How wonderful it is that someone as important as Mrs. Michigan would just say Yes, just tell her when and where!!!! I have included a picture of her with Owen and Rich Michaels at Laura's fund raiser. I have never met CJ in person but he is one of my little angels in my Angel_Wings prayer group. His grandma Michelle and I have never met either, but we have talked on the phone and emailed back and forth. We have that the common thread of being the grandma to a child with cancer. I can not wait to share a grandma hug with her. That is the joy of being just the grandma!

No comments: